Cardinal Stritch University Timeline

1937

The College is chartered by the state of Wisconsin as St. Clare College, a teaching institution for its founders, the Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi. The College is located on Milwaukee’s South Side.


1943

The Sisters opened a reading clinic to assist children in overcoming reading difficulties. This program, known today as The Literacy Centers, is among the oldest in the country and remains a cornerstone of the University's legacy.
 

1946

St. Clare College is renamed Cardinal Stritch College in honor of the former Archbishop of Milwaukee, Samuel Cardinal Stritch, who first encouraged the Sisters to start a college. All academic programs are opened to lay women.
 

1953

The North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools grants accreditation for the first time. This accreditation continues to the present day through the Higher Learning Commission.
 

1956

A graduate division is established, offering majors in special education and reading. Courses in this division are open to men.
 

1962

The campus on the city's South Side is closed and opens at the present location in Fox Point/Glendale with five buildings: Bonaventure Hall (administration); Duns Scotus Hall (academics); Roger Bacon Hall (science); Serra Hall (dining room and kitchen); and Clare Hall (residence).
 

1970

The College becomes entirely coeducational.
 

1980

An innovative nursing program is introduced, offering both associate and bachelor’s degrees.
 

1982

Programs in Management for Adults, the forerunner to the College of Business and Management, are implemented to meet the needs of working adults seeking degrees. Their success led to expansion into Minnesota in 1987.
 

1983

The Professional Inservice Bureau is created and offers an off-campus delivery system for working educators who want to pursue graduate studies.
 

1985

The O.W. Carpenter Campus Center and the A.S. Kliebhan Hall (Great Hall) are completed and dedicated. The Library, Fieldhouse, Student Union, Bookstore and Schroeder Auditorium are included in this expansion.
 

1988

The Master Plan for Stritch is unveiled; its priority was to promote the Franciscan charism. A task force identified and described the four Franciscan values upon which Stritch still operates.
 

1997

University status is approved by the Board of Trustees, and Cardinal Stritch College becomes Cardinal Stritch University. The Joan Steele Stein Center for Communication Studies/Fine Arts is opened, and Nursing introduces its first master’s degree program.
 

1998

The Doctorate in Leadership for the Advancement of Learning and Service is established.
 

2000

The Franciscan Pilgrimage program begins for faculty, staff, and administration. Initially, two people from each group are sent for a ten day leadership pilgrimage in Assisi and Rome.
 

2002

Stritch establishes The Leadership Center, which prepares and sustains leaders that are catalysts for transformation of their organizations and communities.
 

2005

A $14 million expansion of the University’s main administration building, Bonaventure Hall, was completed. Stritch also began offering its first entirely online degree programs.
 

2007

Stritch establishes The Saint Clare Center for Catholic Life, which provides education and formation for lay Catholics who seek to grow in faith and service. It is the only center of its kind in the country.
 

2008

Heritage Park, honoring the Sisters who have served at Stritch, is dedicated.
 

2009

City Center opens in Building #14 of the Pabst Brewery Redevelopment in downtown Milwaukee. The former College of Education and Leadership building on campus is remodeled to create Assisi Hall, a residence for 100 students.
 

2010

Plans are announced for the construction of St. Francis of Assisi Chapel on the second floor of Bonaventure Hall. The Chapel is dedicated on October 4, 2011.
 

2011

Dr. James Loftus becomes the University’s eighth president.
 

2012

The University celebrates its 75th anniversary and introduces the new "rose window" logo. Inspired by a window found at the Basilica of St. Clare in Assisi, Italy, it was chosen to honor the University's rich past and the legacy of the Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi. 

 

2013

Men's basketball wins the NAIA Division II National Championship.

 

2014

The new Performing Arts department is introduced.